The Parish Church is named in honour of Saint John the Baptist and John the Evangelist
Chronicled as early as 924 AD this two-spired parish church with wooden Gothic statuary is Sankt Johann’s main attraction. Following the great fire of 1855, which reduced both the town and the church to rubble, the Pongau Cathedral, as it is known today, was rebuilt from the ground up (1855-1861). A number of Late-Gothic figures can be seen among the church's impressive Neo-Gothic altars. The church’s imposing site over the Salzach Valley and its majestic interior mark the building as a tour de force of Austrian church architecture.